Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Conan...to believe, or not to believe....

I am not a huge fan of television. However, the couple of times I have watched Conan O'Brien, I have been fairly impressed. I loosely followed all of the drama that went on between him and NBC, but my attention was really captured by his "Goodbye Tonight Show" Speech.

For those who never had a chance to hear or see it, here is the text:


"Before we end this rodeo, a few things need to be said. There has been a lot of speculation in the press about what I legally can and can't say about NBC. To set the record straight, tonight I am allowed to say anything I want. And what I want to say is this: between my time at Saturday Night Live, The Late Night Show, and my brief run here on The Tonight Show, I have worked with NBC for over twenty years. Yes, we have our differences right now and yes, we're going to go our separate ways. But this company has been my home for most of my adult life. I am enormously proud of the work we have done together, and I want to thank NBC for making it all possible.


Walking away from The Tonight Show is the hardest thing I have ever had to do. Making this choice has been enormously difficult. This is the best job in the world, I absolutely love doing it, and I have the best staff and crew in the history of the medium. But despite this sense of loss, I really feel this should be a happy moment. Every comedian dreams of hosting The Tonight Show and, for seven months, I got to. I did it my way, with people I love, and I do not regret a second. I've had more good fortune than anyone I know and if our next gig is doing a show in a 7-11 parking lot, we'll find a way to make it fun.


And finally, I have to say something to our fans. The massive outpouring of support and passion from so many people has been overwhelming. The rallies, the signs, all the goofy, outrageous creativity on the internet, and the fact that people have traveled long distances and camped out all night in the pouring rain to be in our audience, made a sad situation joyous and inspirational.


To all the people watching, I can never thank you enough for your kindness to me and I'll think about it for the rest of my life. All I ask of you is one thing: please don't be cynical. I hate cynicism -- it's my least favorite quality and it doesn't lead anywhere.


Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get. But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."

I was completely moved by this speech. It seemed optimistic, intelligent, forward-thinking, and practical. However, the deepest, most skeptical part of me wonders if it is all bullshit.

The fundamental view of atheists is that *we* are in control of ourselves (verses some supernatural deity.) I have always preached that the most important thing a person can master in life is to obtain as much control and self-discipline as possible. I have never once witnessed the miracle of prayer. Oftentimes, people pray and beg for good things to happen, and they do. Just as often, they don't. After all, life is a game of chance, and good things are just as likely to happen as bad.

I guess what I am getting at is that I am beginning to doubt *everything*, including my own ability to control my personal outcome in life. I know that I am intelligent, capable, and determined, yet I still continue to get the shit end of the stick. How do I remain motivated as I continue to see a lack of connection between cause and effect for myself and everyone around me?

2 comments:

  1. the power of positive thought can work amazingly well. like attracts like and positive thoughts attract positive things. Hence, I believe many good things will come out of this situation for Conan. Meditation/prayer/focus (whatever) to the universe/god can and does work, even if it were to only be 50%, it does still work 50%! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you have to have a balance and be able to share the sandbox.

    I understand and share your opinion that we, as individuals, have control over what we do, and we should also face the rewards or consequences of our actions. Inevitably though, we tend to act in a very individualistic way. Well, we're not really all alone. My actions have consequences beyond just my own life. There's a domino effect that happens with every decision, and sometimes, our decisions aren't just driven by our beliefs, but by knowing that what we'll say or do will impact the people around us.

    I think Conan's speech was cool. He's matured, he shows that he thinks before speaking. I know he has an opinion about the whole Leno incident. IMO, it was messed up. But I don't have to consider what can happen to my crew AFTER I leave the Tonight Show, like Conan has to. So, I think he did what was right.

    Was it bullshit? Perhaps. But it was the right thing to do. Did it hurt his image? No. Did it hurt any of his crew? No. He left with a positive note, he didn't save his face, but NBC's and Leno's.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete