Friday, January 29, 2010

atheist adoption

One topic that I am not very fond of is abortion. While I would never chose to have an abortion myself unless my child's quality of life would be majorly reduced by some birth defect, I still believe the procedure to be a private issue between a woman and her doctor.

That being said, why is it that the same people who oppose abortion seem to have no support for the plight of impoverished children whose parents chose not to have an abortion? I feel like people often fail to see the obvious cause and effect; if a woman cannot afford to have a child, but does so anyhow, American taxpayers will end up paying for that child.

The only real solution for such a circumstance is adoption. Yet, so many impoverished children (many with birth defects) remain unadopted. Maybe this situation would be improved slightly if atheists would be allowed to adopt children in all states?

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,877155,00.html

3 comments:

  1. Atheists and gays. I have many gay friends in long, committed relationships who would love to adopt, but are prevented by the laws of their states. It's heartbreaking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree with Alice Radley, so many homosexual couples are denied. atheists, homosexuals, and pagans are often unable to adopt because of their personal lifestyles, which is ridiculous, but that's modern America for ya. i agree with you on the abortion issue here too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be sure to post another blog regarding the rights of homosexual couples to marry, adopt, and enjoy all of the civil liberties that straight couples are allowed. I think we have seen some improvements in these areas, but we aren't there yet!

    ReplyDelete