Saturday, January 23, 2010

the christian wrong

We have all been watching the news and witnessing the pain and disaster in Haiti first hand. While I certainly hope that it shocks, depresses, and brings out the deepest sympathies within my friend and family groups, I am saddened by the reactions of the average person.

I have read commentary from all of the news sites I follow, and the feedback is always the same.

"Those people and their cultures will never learn, just like New Orleans. God was destined to punish them all!"

"Haitian people are like monkeys, looting and stealing and abandoning their young. Why would I give money to them?"

My personal favorite..."Haitians sold their souls to the devil in order to obtain freedom, and the earthquake was sent by god to smite them for their sins."

I don't feel like I need to add much more to all of this. I just have one question...Where is the christian compassion that everyone speaks of? Does it only apply to high income whites? I mean, Haiti is a christian nation, so I guess the fact that some Haitians practice voodoo negates their Goodness. My worst fear, however, is that "good Americans" are allowed to disregard the plight of Haitians based on the fact that many black countries have not had a chance to catch up with other nations due to infrastructure, slavery, etc. etc. God has NOTHING to do with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment