Thursday, February 11, 2010

God class

As I mentioned previously, I will be attending nursing school this summer. Even though several family members and quite a few friends are nurses, I had a hard time figuring out which college offered the best program. After doing quite a bit of research, I discovered that only three colleges in Memphis offer a four-year degree: UofM, Baptist Nursing School, and Union University. You know what finally made me choose UofM? Baptist and Union are both extremely religious schools.

On top of the fact that Baptist and Union are both at least four times more expensive than UofM, they each require you to take five classes on religion. Now, I respect the fact that these are private schools and can wear their religion on their sleeves, but is it fair to require students to spend between 5 and 10 thousand dollars on "God classes"? I mean, by the time students reach college age, they are pretty much set in their beliefs. Therefore, the only purpose of forcing students to take multiple religion classes is to make money.

Before I knew about these ridiculous religion classes, I sent my application to Baptist. They never emailed me back or contacted me. They never even requested my transcripts. Considering the fact that I have extremely high ACT scores, graduated with honors, and am ready and able to pay for classes, the only thing I can assume is that they noticed that I left the "religious affiliation" line blank. I guess I am not godly enough to change catheters, wipe asses, and give enemas.

I plan on using the 10K I save by not taking these stupid classes to attend the university’s international nursing class in 2011. This class gives students the opportunity to fly to Haiti, the Dominican Republic, and other impoverished countries to provide basic health care. While Baptist students are learning about talking donkeys and snakes, animal sacrifices, angels, demons, and ghosts, I will be helping those less fortunate. Baptist and Union don’t even offer similar programs. Doesn’t that seem a little strange? Just saying…

No comments:

Post a Comment