Friday, February 19, 2010

Racism and Barack

A recent study conducted by the Stanford Graduate School of Business revealed some dumbfounding information: racism DOES affect how people view our current president.

Oh really? It took Stanford graduate students to figure this one out?

I remember some of the viral emails that went around when Obama was running for presidency. There was one that said "It's the WHITE House, not the BLACK House." Another one showed a picture of a pimped out car with rims and dice on the rear view, with a caption stating "new presidential transportation." Of course, we all have seen the one that showed a pic of Obama in traditional Muslim attire while visiting in Kenya...obvious proof that our president is a terrorist, right?

Some of the same people who forwarded those emails to me have become defensive when I stated the obvious fact that they were racist. Seriously? I don't understand racism. Furthermore, I don't understand why most of the people I know who are the biggest racist offenders are also Republican, fundamentalist Christians. Does anyone else have an answer? Thoughts, anyone? I would love to open up a discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment