Friday, September 18, 2009

drug testing

I interviewed for a job today. I should feel pretty excited, considering this is the first job prospect I have had since I was laid off almost six months ago. The people who interviewed me seemed nice, honest, and…exhausted. I tried not to cringe when they mentioned that they had been forced to take a pay cuts along with being subjected to corporate furloughs. I am sure that the other employees are wondering “how can they afford to bring in new staff if they can’t pay us to work all of this overtime?” Alas, ‘tis the American way.

Speaking of another great American tradition, this company also engages in drug testing. Drug testing has always been a sore subject with me. Do I take illegal drugs? No. Do I take prescribed drugs that will show up as questionable medications on the drug panels? Yes.

Those who know me and my family also know that I have a long history with depression and anxiety disorders. Two immediate relatives have committed suicide in my lifetime…blame it on genetics. I know that when the benzos show up on the drug test, all I have to do is bring in the prescription bottle and explain why I take it. However, I don’t WANT to explain why I take it. It is embarrassing. It is PRIVATE. I am essentially apologizing for my problems, and I don’t want to feel that way. I want to start my career on the same footing as everyone else, because that should be the “American Way”.

I have also heard rumors that some companies sneak in a pregnancy test as well. I guess they may find some lingering HCG hormones from my recent miscarriage. I guess there are no secrets these days, are there?

Regardless, wish me luck on my possible new career. I may sound pessimistic, but I am really a golden ray of fucking sunshine on the inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment