Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Identities Nov 12, 2006

I thought I would take a reprieve from all of this craziness to post a brief update on my life. After all, writing is something I love to do, right?

Yesterday marked my first official day as Mrs. Dodd. Though I have always been somewhat impervious to change, this is one transition that has filled me with true joy and a sense of belonging. It really is amazing, and I was especially thrilled by how many people showed up on such a short-notice basis to wish us well. It reminded both James and I that our friends really do care about us, and we both have been guilty of neglecting them to a degree since we learned that Corbin would be joining us. That is a flaw in our lifestyle that needs to be changed. So, it with is the most sincere meaning that I say "thank you" to each and every one of you who made 11/11 a day to remember.

Now that the wedding is behind us, most of my focus is going to be preparing our house for Corbin. We still need to get the nursery furnished and the house baby-proofed, but I think we have made a decent start in the right direction. I keep getting so hung up in the craziness of all of it that I start becoming sort of stagnant in my planning. A good example is the other day, as I was pouring myself a bowl of "Kid tested, mother approved Kix cereal". As I began munching, I thought... Mother approved... OMG! I am about to be a mother myself... One that has to approve what kind of food my son will be eating, what kind of bed he'll be sleeping in, etc. etc. I almost broke down in tears under the emotional weight of that ridiculous enlightenment. It is one of the happiest kind of sadnesses you can ever experience - knowing that your life will be changed forever, but that the end result is another living unit who happens to look like you, maybe talk like you, and will always rely on you to find his way in life. I keep acknowledging this in little leaps and bounds, instead of gradually like I expected.

Sorry, I am rambling. I have nothing else to say except that I am in love, and I love all of my friends, and that I am really, truly happy. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment