Thursday, September 24, 2009

intolerance

I realize I have been posting more and more about religion lately, but there is a reason for this. As I become more confident in my non-theistic nature, more people try to “convert me” from my sinful, wicked ways.

I recently lost a friend of over 15 years because I would not “convert”. After asking me repeatedly to repent and “find Jesus”, he finally sent me a “Dear John” letter of sorts, explaining that he could no longer be my friend unless I change my “wicked ways”. I responded crisply that I don’t do drugs, am not an alcoholic, live in a house just as nice (probably nicer) than his, am happily married, and have the exact same education from the same college he does. To this, he had no response. I am sure he just read the email, shook his head sadly, and muttered to himself, “I hope God forgives her.”

I have always been a skeptic, but I grow weary of people trying to convince me that this is a bad thing. I believe that one of the most powerful gifts humans have is the ability to question everything and seek out a valid, logical conclusion to any questions that may arise. Religion has repeatedly failed my logic test, though I gave it many chances.

When I was a child, I would often get into arguments with my mother. When she finally grew exasperated when I kept asking her why she wanted me to do something, he curt response would be “because I told you to.” This is called circular reasoning. The definition of circular reasoning (or a circular argument) is “An argument that commits the logical fallacy of assuming what it is attempting to prove. “ Instead of offering evidence, such an argument simply asserts its conclusion in another form, hoping to invite the arguer to assume the argument is settled when, in fact, it isn’t. Below are some examples of circular arguments I have been forced to endure while discussing Christianity:

1) Question: “How can we be confident that the Bible is the true word of god, and that Christianity is the only true religion?” Answer: “Because God delivered the message, and God is a good and perfect God who would never lie or mislead.”

2) Question: “How can I have faith in something that presents no further evidence than a dusty book that contradicts itself at every turn and presents truths that have been solidly disproven by science?” Answer: “Questioning God represents a lack of faith, which will lead to an eternity of suffering in the fiery pits of hell.”

3) Question: “The Bible asserts that the earth is both flat and only 6,000 years old, though science has clearly asserted otherwise. How to you rectify this?” Answer: “Our God is a truthful God, and would never lie. Science is wrong.”

4) Question: “The Bible states that God is perfect and incapable of error, but in Genesis, he makes it clear that he realizes Adam is lonely after the fact, and corrects his mistake by creating Eve. Also, he claims that he is sorry for creating humans in the first place when he kills them all during the Great Flood. How do you reconcile this?” Answer: “We cannot always explain the ways of God, but God is a perfect and infallible God.”

5) Question: “Christianity seeks to convince that anyone who does not have god in his or her life is empty and lonely. I am not empty and lonely. Why is that?” Answer: “You will never find peace without God.” (But I just SAID I am at peace with my life!)

6) Question: “Whenever I have a problem, Christianity dictates that I should turn to god to have my problems resolved. Yet, everyday, children of good Christian parents are raped and killed on the streets. How can I trust god knowing this?’ Answer: “We can never truly understand the ways of God…we must just have faith.”

Though I listed #6 as an example of circular reasoning, Christians do have a point about one thing. I noticed that both of the people who interviewed me last week had crosses around their necks. They also publicly expressed their dismay for anyone who is not Christian on their Facebook pages. (I got bored and looked them up after my interview.) If I had worn a cross around my neck to the interview and had mentioned having unquestionable faith, I am sure that “God” would have granted me that WONDERFUL job instead of letting those fine folks send me a crappy rejection letter. So, Christians, you got me there!

Favorite Quotes:

“He that is wounded in the stones, or hath his privy member cut off, shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord. A bastard shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord; even to his tenth generation shall he not enter into the congregation of the Lord. “ ~Deuteronomy 23:1

“Suffer not a woman to teach, nor to usurp authority over the man, but to be in silence.” ~1 Timothy 2:12-15

“When the Lord your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations . . . then you must destroy them totally. Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy.” ~ Deuteronomy 7:1-2

“Samaria shall become desolate; for she hath rebelled against her God: they shall fall by the sword: their infants shall be dashed in pieces, and their women with child shall be ripped up." ~Hosea 13:16 (What do all the anti-abortion peeps think about this one?)

No comments:

Post a Comment